I hope everyone had a wonderful long holiday weekend! We spent our Labor Day closing on our new home and moving into it! Matt and I have been searching for the perfect house for quite some time and it was quite a laborious process; but it’s true, good things come to those who wait. We bought our house – site unseen (we saw lots of photos) – the day before we got married! We had a home inspection a few days after the wedding and were happy with our gusto decision; it helps to have a real estate agent who knows you trust this much. Two months later we finally closed and moved in! The movers came this weekend and I have a lot of work ahead of me but I can’t wait to make every room just right.
While the move is fresh in my mind I thought I would share my tips on packing pre-move. Our things were in storage for a few months and when I packed up after the wedding I was not thinking about what I would need immediately when we moved into the house. It seems trivial but I will never again pack these items; I’ll keep one box with me for moving day!
Things I wish I hadn’t packed:
- It helps to have scissors to open things!
- Super helpful when you’re trying to make a million trips to Lowes and BBB for new things
Hand soap and 2 hand towels
- You’ll want one towel for the kitchen and bathroom! I wash my hands constantly when I’m unpacking/cleaning etc. and you’ll blow through paper towels quick.
- Hilarious that I packed this and I have hundreds of boxes to open! Oops!
Vacuum, cleaning supplies, paper towels, toiler paper, and trash bags
- While you can always buy these again it’s annoying knowing you have tons in a box somewhere. If you’re like me you’ll also want to clean before the movers come and after because some things (like the carpet and floors) are too difficult to get to later!
- Ditto! I need a Philips head to out together my new carpet steam cleaner but I had to go buy one at the hardware store. It’s only $5 but now I own a gazillion screw drivers because of days like this
- An empty house is a very quiet house! Our cable and internet won’t be installed for a few more days so for work I’m at Starbucks (at least it’s pumpkin season!) and at home we’re watching a lot of Seinfeld reruns (those old TV series DVDs actually do come in handy!)
Water and snacks
- Moving is exhausting! Stay hydrated and well fed!
Ok, that’s it for now and I need to get back to the pup, but I’m sure I’ll have more to add as I unpack and get settled. I hope you’re ready for home blogs because my list is long!
If you have any moving/unpacking tips please feel free to comment below. Happy September!