Ina’s Chicken Chili is one of my favorite dishes! It’s delicious all year round and goes great with cornbread! Enjoy!
- 3 yellow onions, chopped
- 1/8 cup good olive oil, plus extra for chicken
- 1/8 cup minced garlic
- 2 red bell peppers cored, seeded, and large-diced
- 2 green bell peppers cored, seeded, and large-diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for chicken
- 2 (28-ounce) cans San Marzano diced tomatoes
- 4 chicken breasts
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.?Rub the chicken breasts with olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast the chicken for 35 to 40 minutes, until just cooked. Let cool slightly. Cut it into 3/4-inch chunks.
- Meanwhile, cook the onions in the oil over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the bell peppers, chili powder cumin, red pepper flakes, cayenne, and salt. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken to the chili and simmer, uncovered, for another 20 minutes.
- Serve with the toppings – sour cream, cheese, etc.
* Recipe adapted from Barefoot Contessa
* Photo courtesy of Not Without Salt blog